Year 5 Home Learning
If you wish your child to take the 11+ examination in September 2020, applications must be received by 31st May. Download the leaflet below for all the information.
Daily Home Learning Section
- Home Learning Daily Planner 1.6.20.pdf
- Usain Bolt Biography Differentiated Reading Comprehension Activity.pdf
- Mosque Diagram Task Activity Sheet.pdf
Please view the Home Learning Page with Google Chrome
Home Learning Yearly Overview
Find below a list of books selected for children in Year 5 (ages 9-10) of average reading ability. If your child is a competent reader or has read all these titles then try the books from the Year 6 list. The list aims to promote reading for pleasure with quality texts that are perfectly pitched for the age group and the Curriculum.
Please ensure your child is able to spell all of the words on the Year 5&6 statutory spelling list. These can be downloaded below:
In Year 5, you can help your child in Maths by:
- Continuing to practice and consolidate times tables.
- Ensuring your child can tell the time on both analogue and digital clocks.
- Working out change when shopping.
- Weighing when cooking.
- Playing board games/Darts/Dominoes to add scores
Websites and Apps to support Mathematics
In Year 5, we recommend the following Websites and APPs:
- Woodlands Junior school - Homework Help (This is an excellent site which covers all topics)
- National Geographic website for kids
- English Heritage website for kids
- Rainforest Alliance
Literacy and Maths
Try and complete all of the activities listed below during the year:
- Take part in a debate
- Learn something new about your local area
- Learn to moon walk
- Make and launch an air powered rocket
- Use an OS map
- Go orienteering
- Do a blind folded taste test
- Write a story for the Reception class
- Make a large scale model
- Visit a science laboratory
- Write a play
- Experience a Victorian school room
- Put on a performance
- Make papier mache planets
- Climb something that is taller than you
- Walk to the top of a hill
- Write in hieroglyphics
- Pick litter in your local area
- Plan and cook a meal
- Design and make an electric model